Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh

From: Jorge Torralba <jorge(dot)torralba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Payal Singh <payal(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans(at)geograph(dot)co(dot)za>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh
Date: 2015-02-02 19:45:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

easiest thing I can think of is :

save posgtesql.conf
save pg_hba.conf
pg_dumpall
shut down
set PGDATA to new location you defined
initdb -D /your/new/data/dir
cp old postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf to new datadir
pg_ctl start -D /your/new/data/dir
psql -f dumpfile postgres

validate everything then rm -rf old dtadir.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Payal Singh <payal(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:

> What error does pg_dropcluster give you?
>
> Besides, agree with previous reply - easiest it to manually delete data
> directory.
>
> Payal Singh,
> Database Administrator,
> OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
> Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans(at)geograph(dot)co(dot)za>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Just joined the list, and this is first time foray into SQL databases,
>>> so apologies for the (most likely) lame questions.
>>> I have installed 9.4 with PostGIS on Ubuntu 14.10 64bit Desktop.
>>>
>>> After install I didn't like where the default databases went to, so I
>>> did:
>>>
>>> mkdir /mnt/geo_md1/postgres
>>> chown postgres:postgres /mnt/geo_md1/postgres
>>> su postgres
>>> postgres(at)gs01:/home/geograph$ createuser -s -d -e --replication zls
>>> postgres(at)gs01:/home/geograph$ pg_dropcluster –stop 9.4 main

--
Thanks,

Jorge Torralba

Note: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information. Please
indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error and
delete the copy you received. Thank You.