Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page

From: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
Date: 2023-12-28 02:20:39
Lists: pgsql-www

Postgres is a fully-relational (in that it simultaneously adheres to all of
Codd's rules - something surprisingly rare) multi-paradigm database. It is
multi-paradigm because it is also simultaneously a native object database
and document database (JSONB support better than MongoDB), plus has ready
extensions to be a first class Geodesic Database and Vector Database (ala
AI) amongst others.

Just because "object" has become a bad word because of idiots who jump on
bandwagons and don't even understand the term does not remove its value.
There are still those of us around who used Postgres before it had SQL
support and understand how it works internally. Note that all this
extensibility is made achievable a great deal because it *is* underneath it
all an Object Database. But I agree that we could use better marketing
language to express the full potential of this remarkable open source
project.

- - Ben Scherrey