View deleted records in a table

From: Boyan Botev <bbotev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: View deleted records in a table
Date: 2016-03-26 16:08:53
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to view deleted records in table from a week ago in order to
troubleshoot a data issue. The table has not been vacuumed yet. I was
trying to use the pageinspect v1.4 extension but can't seem to convert the
t_data to a readable record. Is there an easy way for me to get a SQL to
produce all system columns like xmin, xmax along with the visible and
invisible records of the table in a readable form.

I was hoping to find a setting similar to what Netezza has "set
show_deleted_records=1;" to easily turn this visibility on or off, but it
seems that feature was shot down several years ago. As a DBA I want to say
that a feature like this is indispensible when troubleshooting data
problems in large tables and environments where restores may not always be
an option.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Boyan