Re: OSCON Booth Swag WAS: Keep calm and use Postgres

From: Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OSCON Booth Swag WAS: Keep calm and use Postgres
Date: 2013-06-10 19:52:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Which reminds me: The SELF report:

- So, on Saturday morning (very early), I drove to the SouthEast LinuxFest
to man the booth:
https://twitpic.com/cw1lkg

The booth was open from 9-5; I was the only worker for the PG booth. (Drove
back home Saturday evening; *long* day.)

- SELF seemed smaller to me this year (in total number of attendees; there
seemed to be as many or more vendor displays than usual). I still haven't
figured out why a free conference (within 2 hours of Raleigh) draws so
poorly.

- The PG booth got a lot of traffic, partially due to the sousaphone
(which in my experience has been incredibly effective in bringing people by
the booth), but mostly due to being 2 booths over from the lockpicking/lock
enthusiasts table (who had beer/alcohol, although I'm not sure how). The
stickers were the most popular item (by far); I did give out a lot of the
"10 Reasons..." and "9.2" flyers. The PGOpen conference cards also were
fairly popular, and I discussed the conference with many people
(particularly one coder, who told me that their business has a set of
Postgres databases that record *every* point-of-sale record at every AMC
theatre location; I told him [pointedly, repeatedly] to *definitely* submit
a presentation on that to Open).

I'll be bringing more than half of everything you sent me (and, of course,
the banner, which was surprisingly difficult to keep mounted, as it kept
pulling off the table) to Mark at Portland next week. Plenty of everything
left, although you'll probably want more stickers and Open flyers for
OSCON. (I didn't get around to making Keep Calm stickers, but it was just
as well, as we had so much left over.)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com