Re: MVCC overheads

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pete Stevenson <etep(dot)nosnevets(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MVCC overheads
Date: 2016-07-08 18:45:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Pete Stevenson
<etep(dot)nosnevets(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I would like to find some analysis (published work, blog posts)
> on the overheads affiliated with the guarantees provided by MVCC
> isolation.

There are three levels of isolation implemented[1]; the incremental
cost of SERIALIZABLE isolation over REPEATABLE READ for several
standard benchmarking loads is available in section 8 of a paper
presented an a VLDB conference[2].

Hopefully that helps some.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

[1] PostgreSQL current online documentation. Transaction Isolation.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/transaction-iso.html

[2] Dan R. K. Ports and Kevin Grittner. 2012.
Serializable Snapshot Isolation in PostgreSQL.
Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 5, No. 12.
The 38th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases,
August 27th - 31st 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
http://vldb.org/pvldb/vol5/p1850_danrkports_vldb2012.pdf