How to detect values changed in field of foreign table?

From: Bob Spero <bobspero(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to detect values changed in field of foreign table?
Date: 2014-01-27 00:20:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have an oracle foreign table that holds arbitrary tasks, when a task gets
updated the "time_update" field will change. I want to detect when the
field changes so I can insert the values in a local table for completed
tasks. Can postgresql detect changes in a foreign table so a trigger can be
invoked? I am new to postgrwsql so any examples or education on what steps
to take to complete tjos would be greatly appreciated!