Re: ERROR: could not open relation with OID XXXX

From: Marcelo Zabani <mzabani(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not open relation with OID XXXX
Date: 2024-08-25 15:36:18
Lists: pgsql-general

> we do some special stuff for catalogs

That is good to know, thanks!

> I believe you could actually lock the pg_class rows for update. Just add
FOR UPDATE at the end of the query.

Thanks, but I tried that and got "ERROR: permission denied for table
pg_class", even if I try it only for tables the user owns.

At least considering the use-case of avoiding this error due to temporary
tables/indexes (which are a part of normal application execution), I was
thinking of using materialized CTEs that filters those out, and only after
that using other functions that for example take OIDs and return
definitions. Other kinds of DDL that create non-temporary tables can be
"blamed" on developers in my case.
Do you think using those materialized CTEs could help? And do you think
this can be considered a bug that I should report or is it just too
edge-casey to consider?

Regards.