Re: How to prevent jdbc from sending any results back to the client ?

From: Dimitris Karampinas <dkarampin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to prevent jdbc from sending any results back to the client ?
Date: 2014-04-21 15:30:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thanks for your answers.

I need to understand the semantics of the jdbc driver.

My question is, what is the behaviour of executeQuery() ?
At the beginning I thought it was a blocking call, meaning control comes
back to the application right after the query has been fully executed at
the server side.
But my experiments show that once the server starts producing the first
tuples (assume a big join between two tables) executeQuery returns and I
can start iterating to the Resultset while the long query continues running
at the backend.

Can someone verify this ?
If this is the case, my next question is, what happens if I call .close()
on the ResultSet and the query is still running. Does it get aborted ?

FYI: I use a modified version of PostgreSQL. EXPLAIN ANALYSE and a couple
of other tricks I tried don't always work properly.

Thank you
-dk