Question on full vacuum clearing waste space

From: Wenjun Che <wenjun(at)openfin(dot)co>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question on full vacuum clearing waste space
Date: 2020-06-07 03:24:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I am testing full vacuum with pg 10.10 on AWS RDS. I noticed for some
tables, the number of waste bytes stays at a few MB after I run full
vacuum. I double-checked that there are no long running transactions, no
orphaned prepared transactions and no abandoned replication slots.

Here is output from full vacuum for one of the tables:

VACUUM(FULL, ANALYZE, VERBOSE) app_events_users
vacuuming "app_events_users"
"app_events_users": found 0 removable, 1198881 nonremovable row versions in
13369 pages
analyzing "licensing.app_events_users"
"app_events_users": scanned 13369 of 13369 pages, containing 1198881 live
rows and 0 dead rows; 30000 rows in sample, 1198881 estimated total rows

What else can prevent full vacuum from reclaiming all waste space ?

Thank you