Role Granting Issues in PostgreSQL: Need Help

From: Muhammad Imtiaz <imtiazpg712(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Role Granting Issues in PostgreSQL: Need Help
Date: 2024-09-05 04:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I need to assign role permissions from one role to another. However, after
granting the role, I see that the permission list for the target role has
not been updated. For this process, I followed the PostgreSQL documentation
available at PostgreSQL Role Membership
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/role-membership.html>. Please let
me know if I've missed anything.

I am using PostgreSQL version 16 and I have followed these steps.
postgres=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 16.4 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 8.5.0
20210514 (Red Hat 8.5.0-22), 64-bit
(1 row)

1. Create a role with specific permissions

CREATE ROLE rep_admin WITH LOGIN CREATEDB CREATEROLE REPLICATION;

2.Create another role named replication_expert:

CREATE ROLE replication_expert;

3.Grant the rep_admin role to the replication_expert role with inheritance:

GRANT rep_admin TO replication_expert with INHERIT true;
GRANT ROLE

4.Attempt to log in using the replication_expert role:

postgres=# \c postgres replication_expert
connection to server on socket "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed:
FATAL: role "replication_expert" is not permitted to log in

5.Check the role attributes to see if they have been reflected:

postgres=# \du+
List of roles
Role name | Attributes
| Description
--------------------+------------------------------------------------------------+-------------
postgres | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication,
Bypass RLS |
rep_admin | Create role, Create DB, Replication

replication_expert | Cannot login

6.Examine the pg_roles table to confirm that the permissions for
replication_expert have not been updated:

postgres=# SELECT rolname,rolinherit, rolcreaterole, rolcreatedb,
rolcanlogin,rolreplication
FROM pg_roles where rolname in('rep_admin','replication_expert');;
rolname | rolinherit | rolcreaterole | rolcreatedb |
rolcanlogin | rolreplication
rep_admin | t | t | t | t
replication_expert | t | f | f | f
(2 rows)