Re: Postgres v9.5.3 and v9.5.4 Unix Socket Issue

From: Robert Burgholzer <rburghol(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres v9.5.3 and v9.5.4 Unix Socket Issue
Date: 2016-08-13 13:47:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Off the top of my head I would say check to see if pg_hba.conf syntax must
be updated for the newer version, or if it was overwritten during upgrade.

Hth,
Robert

On Saturday, August 13, 2016, Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am having an issue with version 9.5. I am unable to connect locally with
> psql using port syntax. This worked in earlier versions (for sure in 9.3).
>

> We downloaded and installed postgres from rpm(s). The installation is on
> Linux-x64.
>
> We did pg_upgrade of an existing 9.5.3 cluster.
>
> psql -U postgres -d template1 -p 5434
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>
> Is the server running locally and accepting
>
> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.
> 5434"?
>
> The socket is in /tmp and that is where it is supposed to be.
>
> srwxrwxrwx 1 postgres postgres 0 Aug 13 08:16 .s.PGSQL.5434
>
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 49 Aug 13 08:16 .s.PGSQL.5434.lock
>

> Following line is from postgresql.conf:
>
> unix_socket_directories = ‘/tmp’
>
> Do you know why the new build (9.5.3 psql and 9.5.4 as well) is looking in
> /var/run/postgresql? This seems to be some inconsistency in new build. BTW,
> I can connect successfully to this 9.5 database using 9.3 psql executable.
>
> Thanks for reading my post.
>
> *Murthy Nunna*
>
> *Database Services Group*
>
> *Enterprise Server Operations Dept.*
>
> *Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory*

Robert W. Burgholzer
'Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated
simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.' - Charles Mingus
Athletics: http://athleticalgorithm.wordpress.com/
Science: http://robertwb.wordpress.com/
Wine: http://reesvineyard.wordpress.com/