Re: Can PostgreSQL create new WAL files instead of reusing old ones?

From: Jerry Jelinek <jerry(dot)jelinek(at)joyent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PostgreSQL create new WAL files instead of reusing old ones?
Date: 2018-06-20 17:35:30
Lists: pgsql-general

As Dave described in his original email on this topic, we'd like to avoid
recycling WAL files since that can cause performance issues when we have a
read-modify-write on a file that has dropped out of the cache.

I have implemented a small change to allow WAL recycling to be disabled. It
is visible at:
https://cr.joyent.us/#/c/4263/

I'd appreciate getting any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Jerry