File size consideration of file_fdw in PostgreSQL

From: Xiaobo Gu <guxiaobo1982(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: File size consideration of file_fdw in PostgreSQL
Date: 2013-06-22 12:06:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We have very large files in size will be created as external tables in
PostgreSQL via file_fdw, we have the following considerations:
1. Can file_fdw handle files with size large than the size of RAM in the
server.
2. Will file_fdw scan the full file every time when the external table is
queried, even we have "where" clause to narrow to a subset of rows , as the
file_fdw doesn't have a server engine.

Can you help with this, thanks.

Xiaobo