Extra files in "base" dir not seen in relfilenodes

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)fdr(dot)io>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Extra files in "base" dir not seen in relfilenodes
Date: 2018-01-16 22:54:30
Lists: pgsql-general

I am looking at a database with a wide (~500G) divergence between the total
space expended by the database directory and the result of select
sum(pg_relation_size(oid)) from pg_class;.

I located about 280G of apparent extra space by performing an anti-join
between files on disk and files in the catalog via the pg_class.relfilenode
field.

What should I do to get rid of the data, if it is, in fact, "extra"? Is
there a reasonable bug report to file? Can I independently compute the
entire itemization of files that belong in the data directory?

The cluster was pg_upgrade'd, in link mode, a while ago, to 10.1 from 9.6.
This is not necessarily relevant, though.

Thanks,
Daniel