Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date: 2022-11-25 18:35:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 4:25 AM Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > In researching this problem, it appears that the decision was made
> like 17yrs ago, when windows did not have a realistic "terminal" type
> interface.
>
> FWIW PostgreSQL 16 will require Windows 10+. Not a Windows user
>
> Re configuration flags: don't waste time with the old perl-based build
> system. The configuration should be done only with the new *meson*

love this feature. It would be good if the tests in
> src/bin/psql/t/010_tab_completion.pl pass on Windows, but if that's
> hard, don't let that stop you sharing a patch.

Okay, my "hacked" version actually passed all the tests (manually) except
FILE completion.
(2 versions of readdir(), readline() called it's own, but landed in ours
[linker symbol issues]).

I understand the problems well enough. I am going to change gears, and
move to meson.
Without that, when I link readline() w/o any library/approach changes
(mingw), arrow keys don't work.
(but Ctrl Keys, History and Tab do).

Thanks for the support!