Re: BUG #17598: EXTENSION can no longer create it's own schema! (Create Schema IF NOT EXISTS XXX)

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17598: EXTENSION can no longer create it's own schema! (Create Schema IF NOT EXISTS XXX)
Date: 2022-08-29 18:24:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 1:55 PM David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The convention on these lists is to inline or bottom-post with trimming of
> excess reply quoting.

Thank you!

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> OR I am clearly doing things incorrectly.
>>

> You seem to be trying to hard-code the schema instead of letting the
> extension creation infrastructure handle that for you by delegating to the
> instance-specific reference @extschema@

TBH, I created a simple example that showed the problem.
[A Third Party Extension is what actually Broke]

Could I recommend this page:
https://www.postgresql.org/support/security/CVE-2022-2625/
Add these two references (below)??? (ie, because we updated how things
work, please review this to make sure you have it correct)

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/extend-extensions.html#EXTEND-EXTENSIONS-RELOCATION
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/extend-extensions.html#EXTEND-EXTENSIONS-EXAMPLE
>
> Even if you want to force a fixed schema you need to do it in the way
> described in the documentation.
>
> David J.

Again, Thanks. I see it clearly now! Apologies!