Re: Tutorial book with runable code for Postgres?

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mjf(at)mjf(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tutorial book with runable code for Postgres?
Date: 2022-11-29 21:42:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 3:40 AM Matous Jan Fialka <mjf(at)mjf(dot)cz> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I would like to get some opinion on a petite idea I got while reading
> the "nextval
> parameter is not clear" thread. Because it may not fit well to the
> thread itself
> I managed to create a new one instead...
>
> +1 (right approach, I was clearly wrong, learning...)

> The very best example of the approach of a book with runable examples
> is the
> "The Rust Programming Language" [1][2] aka "The Book". Who has not
> known about it,
> please give it few minutes to see how it works and what a great
> experience it is
> to read it. :-)
>
> I actually recorded this interaction. I think this is cool.
And as I think about WHERE this goes, I DEFINITELY believe it goes
in the tutorial world. I love the "peek" and the "play" icons, on mouse
over.
https://app.screencast.com/VddQpV2LYoUdx

for those that want to see it themselves:
https://rust-lang.github.io/mdBook/format/mdbook.html

And scroll to the bottom of that page.

> I am also not aware if DB Fiddle or another service allows to run
> examples covered
> in such tutorial book via some API or not. If not, the results could
> still be
> "pregenerated" and hardcoded at compile time. Maybe, in this case, it
> would be even
> better.

If in the tutorial we used this "hiding" technique to explain the code,
but expanded it so it was runnable, that would be awesome.

I like the idea of it being able to go directly to:
https://www.db-fiddle.com/
to either a specific preloaded example, or better, pass in our code...
Especially if we could do it using one CSS/Javascript wrapper!

> [2] https://github.com/rust-lang/book (source code of "the book")
> [3] https://rust-lang.github.io/mdBook/format/mdbook.html
> --
> Matous Jan Fialka

Thanks... Let's hope the discussion gets some traction...