Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date: 2022-11-28 22:22:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 9:32 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2022-11-23 20:55:18 -0500, Kirk Wolak wrote:
> > Currently I have a lot of it working, but I need to partner up with some
> of
> > the meson guys...
> > if it is already close to working, a couple of my tweaks could accelerate
> > it.
>
> I just successfully compiled postgres with meson and readline, using msvc,
> only tweaking psql_completion() contents.
>
> The readline I used for building with msvc is from
> vcpkg.exe install --triplet x64-windows readline-win32 pkgconf
>
> I also installed icu zlib zstd libxml2 libxslt tcl that way, but shouldn't
> matter here.
>
> vcpkg is installed in c:/dev/vcpkg
>
> Other steps:
> # let meson know where to get pkgconf from, could also add it to PATH
>
> $ENV:PKG_CONFIG="c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/tools/pkgconf/pkgconf.exe"
>
> # specify location of pkgconfig files, so meson can get compilation flags
> meson setup --buildtype debug
> -Dpkg_config_path=c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/debug/lib/pkgconfig ...
>
> # when running tests, the readline dll needs to be somewhere in PATH
> $ENV:PATH="$ENV:PATH;c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/debug/bin"
>

> If you want to build an optimized postgres, you'd need to change the
> pkg_config_path and PATH so it doesn't include debug/ (this is because of
> needing to link to the same CRT).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund

Andres,
Thank you for this. We have the build working with meson (w/o readline).
I was not able to get "readline" to be recognized by meson (I've attached
the log file)....
It is "there" according to vcpkg. (other projects have a .pc file this one
is missing?)

I did take this version of readline, and linked it to my VS sources (the
hardway), and recompiled/linked,
*and IT WORKS! With Arrow Keys, etc! (although this is like Version 5 of
readline)*

I am curious why meson is not seeing these packages as installed?
I changed the readline setting in the meson config to "enabled", but since
it doesn't "find" them,
it turns it off in the end...
>> Run-time dependency readline found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

Strangely it says it used pkgconfig and cmake?

I am very excited to see auto-complete and readline support coming to
windows...

Thanks, Kirk

Attachment Content-Type Size
meson-log.txt text/plain 369.6 KB