Re: Update Help on PREPARE to mention DEALLOCATE

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update Help on PREPARE to mention DEALLOCATE
Date: 2024-04-17 17:52:57
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 4:42 PM David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 1:27 PM Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Could we make the PREPARE line read
>>
> No. That is a syntax excerpt and the prepare command doesn't accept an
> optional deallocate keyword at that position.
>
> If we wanted to improve the psql help here we'd have two options:
> Add to the description:
> prepare a statement for execution (undo this with Deallocate)

I am 100% okay with that. I would consider DEALLOCATE to be caps so it
looks like a command.

But would leave that to you guys...
Great observations on the other issues. Not looking to complicate things.
Just enough bread crumbs to link things.

Thanks!