Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-05-16 02:39:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 12:04 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes; you can
> see the results here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
>

>> Add local I/O block read/write timing statistics columns of pg_stat_statement (Nazir Bilal Yavuz)
>> The new columns are "local_blk_read_time" and "local_blk_write_time".
here, "pg_stat_statement" should be "pg_stat_statements"?

>> Add optional fourth parameter to pg_stat_statements_reset() to allow for the resetting of only min/max statistics (Andrei Zubkov)
>> This parameter defaults to "false".
here, "parameter", should be "argument"?

maybe
>> Add optional fourth boolean argument (minmax_only) to pg_stat_statements_reset() to allow for the resetting of only min/max statistics (Andrei Zubkov)
>> This argument defaults to "false".
in section: E.1.2. Migration to Version 17

>> Rename I/O block read/write timing statistics columns of pg_stat_statement (Nazir Bilal Yavuz)
>> This renames "blk_read_time" to "shared_blk_read_time", and "blk_write_time" to "shared_blk_write_time".

"pg_stat_statement" should be "pg_stat_statements"?

also, we only mentioned, pg_stat_statements some columns name changed
in "E.1.2. Migration to Version 17"
but if you look at the release note pg_stat_statements section,
we added a bunch of columns, which are far more incompatibile than
just colunm name changes.

not sure we need add these in section "E.1.2. Migration to Version 17"