Re: not null constraints, again

From: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not null constraints, again
Date: 2024-09-09 08:31:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 2, 2024 at 6:33 PM Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The attached patch adds List *nnconstraints, which store the not-null definition, in struct CreateStmt.
> This makes me a little confused about List *constraints in struct CreateStmt. Actually, the List constraints
> store ckeck constraint, and it will be better if the comments can reflect that. Re-naming it to List *ckconstraints
> seems more reasonable. But a lot of codes that use stmt->constraints will be changed.

hi.
seems you forgot to attach the patch?
I also noticed this minor issue.
I have no preference for Renaming it to List *ckconstraints.
+1 for better comments. maybe reword to

List *constraints; /* CHECK constraints (list of Constraint nodes) */

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 3:17 PM Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The test case in constraints.sql, as below:
> CREATE TABLE notnull_tbl1 (a INTEGER NOT NULL NOT NULL);
> There are two not-null definitions, and is the second one redundant?

hi.
i think this is ok. please see
function transformColumnDefinition and variable saw_nullable.

we need to make sure this:
CREATE TABLE notnull_tbl3 (a INTEGER NULL NOT NULL);
fails.

of course, it's also OK do this:
CREATE TABLE notnull_tbl3 (a INTEGER NULL NULL);