Re: POC: make mxidoff 64 bits

From: Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, wenhui qiu <qiuwenhuifx(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: make mxidoff 64 bits
Date: 2024-10-22 16:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 22 Oct 2024 at 12:43, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> MultiXactMemberFreezeThreshold looks quite bogus now. Now that
> MaxMultiXactOffset==2^64-1, you cannot get anywhere near the
> MULTIXACT_MEMBER_SAFE_THRESHOLD and MULTIXACT_MEMBER_DANGER_THRESHOLD
> values anymore. Can we just get rid of MultiXactMemberFreezeThreshold? I
> guess it would still be useful to trigger autovacuum if multixacts
> members grows large though, to release the disk space, even if you can't
> run out of members as such anymore. What should the logic for that look
> like?

Yep, you're totally correct. The MultiXactMemberFreezeThreshold call is not
necessary any more and can be safely removed.
I made this as a separate commit in v4. But, as you rightly say, it will be
useful to trigger autovacuum in some cases. The obvious
place for this machinery is in the GetNewMultiXactId. I imagine this like
"if nextOff - oldestOff > threshold kick autovac". So, the
question is: what kind of threshold we want here? Is it a hard coded define
or GUC? If it is a GUC (32–bit), what values should it be?

And the other issue I feel a little regretful about. We still must be
holding MultiXactGenLock in order to track oldestOffset to do
"nextOff - oldestOff" calculation.

> I'd love to see some tests for the pg_upgrade code. Something like a
> little perl script to generate test clusters with different wraparound
> scenarios etc.

Agree. I'll address this as soon as I can.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0004-Make-pg_upgrade-convert-multixact-offsets.patch application/octet-stream 12.4 KB
v4-0003-Get-rid-of-MultiXactMemberFreezeThreshold-call.patch application/octet-stream 13.4 KB
v4-0001-Use-64-bit-format-output-for-multixact-offsets.patch application/octet-stream 9.0 KB
v4-0002-Use-64-bit-multixact-offsets.patch application/octet-stream 13.3 KB