Re: RM4292 - Dark mode support for Windows/macOS

From: Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RM4292 - Dark mode support for Windows/macOS
Date: 2020-04-10 12:10:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave/Akshay,

I had manually added the theme parameter in registry but after changing
those from the control panel as suggested by Dave, all control looks fine
in dark theme.
Please find the attached patch for review.

Thanks,
Neel Patel

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I reviewed and tested the code on Windows and fixed below issues. Except
>>> below, it looks good to me.
>>>
>>> - Compilation error on windows
>>>
>>> Oops, thanks.
>>

>>> - In configuration window, "maximumSize" of the control is provided
>>> along with "minimumSize" so it prevents control from expanding when the
>>> user resizes the window. Removed maxSize and set as default.
>>>
>>> OK.
>>

>>> A Couple of points for discussion.
>>>
>>> - AFAIK - Users need to manually set the "AppsUseLightTheme" value
>>> in the registry, right ? Do we need to document that somewhere ?
>>>
>>> No, it's an option if you go to personalise your desktop:
>>

> OK
>

>> [image: Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 17.45.02.png]
>>

>>> - As we have introduced 2 new "dark.qss" & "light.qss" files, so
>>> during packaging we need to make sure that it should reside along with
>>> "pgAdmin4" application binary otherwise those css will not be applied at
>>> runtime. right ?
>>>
>>> Hmm, that's a good point. I'll look at that.
>>

>>> - Checkbox is not visible in Configure window UI as per below
>>> screenshot. Are you able to see on Mac ? If no, I can take a look at it.
>>>
>>> [image: Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 5.05.25 PM.png]
>>>

>> No, that works on Mac. If you can look at it that would be great (are the
>> SVGs from the patch in your filesystem?):
>>

> Yes, all SVGs from the patch are there. I will take a look.
>

>> [image: Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 17.47.39.png]
>> Thanks!
>>

>>> Attached is the updated patch.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neel Patel

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
Runtime_dark_mode_for_Windows_Mac_v2.patch application/octet-stream 122.0 KB