Re: postmaster.pid file auto-clean up?

From: Michael Clark <codingninja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sebastien Boisvert <sebastienboisvert(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postmaster.pid file auto-clean up?
Date: 2012-08-26 17:51:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > We back our client application with PG,
>
> > each OSX user gets their own instance of PG.
>
> Are you certain that's necessary?

It was a decision made, weighing various trade-offs, 4 years ago now.

> > In the wild this scenario has arisen without intentional interference.
> In debugging, yes, we contrived the situation to replicate the behaviour.
> Mind you, we may be using PG in an environment that isn't advisable.
>
> What you replicated is not what happens when your problem occurs.
> Processes don't do things like that with each others PID files.

That is true.
But the system does recycle pids, especially after a reboot.

I appreciate all the feedback and input from everyone who responded.
Thank you!! You have answered our questions, and it gives us food for
thought.

Michael.