Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

From: Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Date: 2019-03-28 09:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:36 AM David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-Mar-28, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> > > "Nearing wraparound" is too late already. In Amazon, reading table
> from gp2
> > > after you exhausted your IOPS burst budget is like reading a floppy
> drive,
> > > you have to freeze a lot earlier than you hit several terabytes of
> unfrozen
> > > data, or you're dead like Mandrill's Search and Url tables from the
> link I
> > > shared.
> >
> > OK, then start freezing tuples in the cheap mode (skip index updates)
> > earlier than that. I suppose a good question is when to start.
>
> I thought recently that it would be good to have some sort of
> pro-active auto-vacuum mode that made use of idle workers.

Problem with "idle" is that it never happens on system that are going to
wraparound on their lifetime. This has to be a part of normal database
functioning.

Why not select a table that has inserts, updates and deletes for autovacuum
just like we do for autoanalyze, not only deletes and updates like we do
now?

--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa