How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs

From: Donato Marrazzo <donato(dot)marrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs
Date: 2020-04-08 09:15:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

according this page [1], large object are limited to the OID range of 2^32
(since it's a 4 bytes number).
I'm working on a use case were there are many tables with blobs (on
average not so large 32KB).
I foresee that in 2-3 years time frame, the limit of overall blobs will be
breached: more than 2^32 blobs.

- Is there a way to change the OID limit?
- Should we switch to a bytea implementation?
- Are there any drawback of bytea except the maximum space?

Thank you!

All the best,
Donato

[1]: