Configuring LDAP in the pg_hba.conf file

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Configuring LDAP in the pg_hba.conf file
Date: 2017-01-27 17:19:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I've been slowly going nuts with trying to get LDAP authentication working.
The following edited ldapsearch string works exactly as I need it:

ldapsearch -h ldap.example.com -b "dc=example,dc=com" -D
"uid=pgsqlldap,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com"
"(&(uid=myuid)(memberOf=cn=pgsqlsandbox,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com))"
-w current_password

but I can't seem to translate this into any form that will work in the
pg_hba.conf file. I've tried setting the various parameters separately like
ldapbinddn, ldapbindpasswd, etc., and I've tried setting ldap_prefix,
ldap_suffix, etc., and I've also tried to set ldapurl, but something always
seems broken.

Can anyone suggest a proper format for the pg_hba.conf line? I seem to be
hung up on getting the search filter correct and I'd like to have
postgresql substitute the user's id rather than hard coding one in here.

Thanks in advance,
Jay