Re: Problem with pg_hba.conf

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: olologin <olologin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with pg_hba.conf
Date: 2015-11-20 12:46:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

First off, you don't need to restart your postgrsql server once you've
edited the pg_hba.conf file, just issue a reload which forces the server to
reread this file. Now, about the contents itself. Your first line is only
permitting the "postgres" user to connect locally. Please look at the
format which you even show in your email. The first field is TYPE, then
DATABASE, then USER, and finally METHOD. Your psql command should work if
you use "psql -qt -h localhost -U overseer" as that forces the connection
over tcp/ip and not a *nix pipe. Finally, look in your $PGDATA/pg_log
directory at what your server is saying about connection attempts. That can
be invaluable.

Hope this helps you,
Jay