Re: INVALID index while concurrent indexing in progress?

From: Rajakavitha Kodhandapani <krajakavitha(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: dancernerd32(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INVALID index while concurrent indexing in progress?
Date: 2022-05-19 13:32:41
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

This is my first attempt at contributing to the documentation of PostgreSQL.
Here's the patch. Please let me know if any other changes need to be made.

Regards,
Rajie

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 1:10 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-createindex.html
>
> I think the INVALID index can use further explanation, in particular, from
> my experience it seems like when building an index concurrently, the index
> gets inserted and labeled invalid while the index is being built, and then
> the label gets removed if it finishes successfully or gets left on the
> if there is a failure while building the index. It is my current
> understanding, after experimenting, that INVALID means 'incomplete',
> whether
> that's because it's in progress or because it was unable to be completed,
> but prior to my experiment my understanding was that INVALID indicated
> failure.
>
> This was especially confusing when we were adding an index to a very large
> table because we assumed the INVALID index indicated failure when we
> couldn't find any other sign of progress or failure.

Attachment Content-Type Size
update-invalid.patch.rtf text/rtf 2.3 KB