Trouble incrementing a column

From: Blake McBride <blake1024(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble incrementing a column
Date: 2019-11-23 21:28:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

I am using PostgreSQL 10.10. I am having trouble incrementing a column for
reasons I can't see. It's probably some basic SQL thing. Your help is
appreciated.

create table my_table (
listid char(36) not null,
seq smallint not null,
item varchar(4096),
primary key (listid, seq)
);

insert into my_table (listid, seq) values ('abc', 1);
insert into my_table (listid, seq) values ('abc', 2);

-- the following works some of the time
update my_table set seq=seq+1;

-- the following doe not work for reasons I do not know
update my_table set seq=seq+1 where listid='abc';

What I get is a duplicate primary key. I wouldn't think I'd get that
because I'd think the whole thing is done in a transaction so that
duplicate checks wouldn't be done till the end (essentially).

Is there a clean way to do this?

Thanks!

Blake McBride