Enhance 5.8. Inheritance

From: Pekka Järvinen <pekka(dot)jarvinen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Enhance 5.8. Inheritance
Date: 2014-11-19 22:30:26
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

Just a quick comment about
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/ddl-inherit.html
I think in this page should mention partitioning (5.9) in the very first
paragraph. Or some way hint the reader that might be the actual thing
they're after.

Years ago I was learning about splitting tables into smaller pieces and I
found this inheritance manual page but it didn't make any sense because it
talks about cities and capitals and there aren't that many of them. So why
I would need this? Then I asked about inheritance usage in a forum and I
got statistics and logs as examples. This changed my mind to thinking about
tables splitted into years and months and multi-million lines of data
instead of some hundreds (that cities and states example). Only then I
found what I was actually looking for, partitioning.

Partitioning manual page is very good because measurements is used as
example. This gets the reader/developer into the "lots of data" mindset
which starts questioning performance.

--
Pekka Järvinen