Re: Timezone: resolve $TZDIR in runtime

From: Anatolii Smolianinov <zarkonesmall(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timezone: resolve $TZDIR in runtime
Date: 2024-10-21 16:00:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Adrian!

Totally agree.

I think embedded postgresql appeared mainly because of compatibility
reasons. If you are using postgres on server, with some of the custom
features which you can't find in other databases, and want to enable "local
mod" for your users, (and also for tests maybe), but you don't want to roll
out a compatibility layer with e.g. sqlite.

As I've mentioned, it's not about embedded really, it is more about support
of standard $TZDIR mechanics in general. Embedded postgresql was mentioned
just for the context of my use case.