Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC

From: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Date: 2014-01-28 22:55:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Interesting!

I'd be curious as to what types of bugs were caused by these implicit
casts..

Note 8.3 was in the days back before ORMs became popular, so "just write
better SQL" was a perfectly decent solution to the problem back then. Now
days, this requirement might make Postgres incompatible with certain ORMs
out there, which is a bummer. I'm wondering if these ambiguities you speak
of could be solved in other ways. Such as implicitly cast iff the
intention is not ambiguous, otherwise raise some sort of "ambiguous" error
or default to some behavior.

Mike