Re: Materialized views in Oracle

From: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>
To: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Materialized views in Oracle
Date: 2011-09-21 22:02:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmm I think a materialized view you have to update yourself is called a
"table".. but after dealing with the nightmare that is Oracle 11g, I think
it'd be much more fun going that route with triggers and everything. Yes
this thread is a complete vent, and also a plea to the pg guys to do
materialized views right!
On Sep 21, 2011 1:54 PM, "Ben Chobot" <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:
>
>> So I used to think materialized views in Postgres would be an awesome
feature. That is until I had to endure the hell hole which is Oracle's
implementation.. what a complete joke.. did MS SQL's indexed views do any
better? Hopefully if PG 10 implements this, they'll make it actually useful
to people.

> Not sure if this was a question or just blowing off frustration, but you
can do materialized views in PG just fine. It's just that you have to do the
work of updating them yourself. You can make a good case that's a good
thing, because it lets you optimize the process around your needs..... but
it does add for dba complexity.