migrating data from non-partitioned table to partitioned table in Aurora Postgresql

From: hellen jiang <hellenjiang99(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: migrating data from non-partitioned table to partitioned table in Aurora Postgresql
Date: 2024-02-13 15:44:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

We have 1522 non-partition tables in the Aurora postgres cluster, There are
around 180,000,000 rows in each table, which is very big. We want to change
each table into a partitioned table, so each table will be partitioned into
around 200 partitioned tables: eventually we will get around 1522* 200
tables. Now we are trying to migrate from non-partitioned tables to
partitioned tables by INSERT INTO NEW-TABLE SELECT * FROM OLD-TABLE WHERE
XXX. The problem is this performance is very slow, is there any way that we
can speed up the migration process? by whatever method like changing
configuration. We don't care about database downtime at this moment.

Best Regards,

Hellen Jiang