Re: Enforcing uniqueness on [real estate/postal] addresses

From: Peter Devoy <peter(at)3xe(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enforcing uniqueness on [real estate/postal] addresses
Date: 2020-05-11 19:40:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had neither heard of partial
unique indexes nor
considered using COALESCE so I will explore both of these as options
and update the
thread with how it goes.

>Then, if you can define a problem where you feel having a unique table constraint over
>the field is the correct solution [...] you should post the problem and take suggestions on
>ways to solve it.
I am not sure if I have such a problem :) I tried to simplify my
example for the sake of
brevity but if I cannot get the above to work I will post the full problem.

Kind regards

Peter