Re: Very slow checkpoints

From: Joao Junior <jcoj2006(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steven Jones <steven(dot)jones1201(at)outlook(dot)com>
Cc: didier <did447(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very slow checkpoints
Date: 2015-03-19 19:40:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Would not be the case slightly decrease the shared buffer, lower your
checkpoints_timeout for eg 5 minutes or decrease checkpoints_segments and
set the checkpoint_completation_target to 0.5 to not mess up the next
checkpoints?

What logs tell me is that a checkpoint occurs immediately to the other.

When you have a large shared_buffer and checkpoint_completation_target
value near the maximum time between checkpoints, which I imagine is very
spread given for a very long time interval
.
As your shared_buffer is relatively large, more data should be handled by
the checkpoint. The checkpoints are being triggered by time (15 minutes)
accumulating a good amount of data.

All this happens every time you load your CVS, and when the writing process
of checkpoints reaches the end occurs immediately another.

It seems reasonable high disk activity performed by checkpoint and writing
processes, performing theirs job duties amid a high load on the
shared_buffer.

Regards