Re: PG Database Encryption

From: Ravi GH <mails2ravi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG Database Encryption
Date: 2023-05-29 11:58:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks depesz , Ron, Marco & others,

I tried the suggested option of TDE
<https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption> , to enable
Cluster Level Encryption. I had followed the "Installation from Source
Code" method with --with-ssl=openssl parameter to ./configure during build.

1. Please confirm the enabling encryption is possible only by install from
source with --with-ssl parameter?
2. I could enable encryption using PG 12 with patched version provided at
here
<https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/products/postgresql-transparent-data-encryption/>
,
do we need to purchase the product or is it possible with Postgres source
shared at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v14.7/

We are using Ubuntu 22 and we will prefer to go with TDE cluster level
encryption, please advise can we try to implement it by install from source
( with shared source at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v14.7 ) or
need to purchasing TDE patched version is mandatory to enable cluster level
encryption?

Thanks a lot,
Ravi

--
"Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth" — Archimedes