Re: vacuum is time consuming

From: Martín Marqués <martin(dot)marques(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Atul Kumar <akumar14871(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum is time consuming
Date: 2021-02-01 22:08:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Atul,

> We have DB of 400GBs, Server RAM is 160GBs. CPU consumption is 1-3% only.
>
> We have configured maintenance_work_mem to 10GBs and restarted the
> postgres service.

Just wanted to mention that maintenance_work_mem has a hardcoded upper
limit threshold of 1GB, so any size bigger than that to
maintenance_work_mem or autovacuum_maintenance_work_mem will leave it
effectively at 1GB.

There have been a few attempts the past few years on lifting that restriction.

> We have done upgrade from postgres 9.5 to 9.6, then when we run vacuum
> analyze on database, it is taking more than 5 hours and still running.
>
> Any suggestions for making the process(vacuum analyze) faster are welcome.

Yes, upgrade to PG13.

Kind regards, Martin,

--
Martín Marqués