Re: Strategies for converting UTC data to local windows for arbitrary resolutions and timezones

From: Lincoln Swaine-Moore <lswainemoore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marian Wendt <marian(dot)wendt(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strategies for converting UTC data to local windows for arbitrary resolutions and timezones
Date: 2023-10-04 17:45:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> If you mean that your input will always include an explicit zone
> specification, then this doesn't affect you. What I was thinking
> about was that
>
> select generate_series('2023-10-04 13:30', ...)

> is going to mean different things depending on the zone setting
> that prevails when that constant is parsed.

Gotcha--I thought you meant the timezone argument to the function ($4). I
can make sure that all the datetime arguments to the function are "with
timezone", so there should be no ambiguity. But I guess if I didn't, the
timezone given by $4 would be the one parsing the naive timestamps, which I
think would also be ok from my perspective.

Thanks!