Takes long time to "fail back" using pg_rewind

From: Joakim Lundgren <lundgren700(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Takes long time to "fail back" using pg_rewind
Date: 2018-10-04 11:19:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi!

I experience that it takes a long time (several GB of data is fetched) to
use pg_rewind to do a failback when the former master has failed over to
the former standby (which is now master) and is started again and very
little data (like one row updated) is updated. I have upgraded to the
latest version (10.5), but still think it takes equally long time. I found
this bugfix (
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1F8D6C7A(at)G01JPEXMBYT05)
from late February this year. So would like to check if somebody knows if
this fix is incorporated in standard postgreSQL, or if anybody else
experience the same issue.

Thanks for any answer!

/Regards Joakim Lundgren