PostgreSQL general discussions list - 2010 Thread: Wikipedia entry - AmigaOS port - error?

From: Raffaele Irlanda <raf1024k(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL general discussions list - 2010 Thread: Wikipedia entry - AmigaOS port - error?
Date: 2017-03-13 09:13:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello People of PostgreSQL,

Unfortunately only nowadays (March 2017), and only by chance I spotted this
2010 discussion during a Google search.

Name of discussion:

Wikipedia entry - AmigaOS port - error?

id of message:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/839805.58072.qm%40web23603.mail.ird.yahoo.com

I found strange the doubt Mr. Glyn Astill expressed that Amiga platform
entry in Wikipedia about availability of PostgreSQL could be an error, as
he was just unaware that platform had a porting of PostgreSQL even if
unofficial...

Also I found strange the fact Mr. Tom Lane immediately deleted Amiga
reference entry on Wikipedia in article regarding RDBMS without performing
any serious search on Google, lasting more than a couple of minutes of true
serious search, or maybe asking directly into Amiga Forums about PostgreSQL
to Amiga Communituy of Users.

Infacts there is a port of PostgreSQL made in the late 2005 (five years
before your discussion started) present in online Amiga Repository AMINET
and it was available for the Amiga clone Operating System called MorphOS

http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/postgresql632-mos-bin

In 2010 it has been sure completely outdated but sure you can see proof it
exists, and that Amiga had full dignity of being present into Wikipedia
Article.

A simple Google search could had helped you and sure it had solved your
doubts, or maybe just paying a visit on Amiga Forums that are well
represented online and asking directly to members of Amiga Community that
are well known for their friendly welcome attitude (I can assure you two
that we don't bite people from other platforms) sure had saved Mr. Tom Lane
from his presupponential deletion of Amiga Entry in RDBMS in Wikipedia.

I get this occasion to inform you gentlemen that there are also various
packages regarding SQLite into Amiga repositories, if you search for it.
Last available package is from 2016, so it is not outdated this time. and
If you are active also in SQLite Community now you have full info about
Amiga portings.

http://aminet.net/search?query=SQLite

Hope from now on future, you will not delete anymore -abruptly- Amiga
entries before informing yourself about Amiga portings availability when
encoutering this platform name by chance on Wikipedia or other sites.

With respect,

Raffaele irlanda