Re: Maintenance solutions

From: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: brian(at)sqlpro(dot)se
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maintenance solutions
Date: 2020-01-15 13:05:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Brian,

You will find good scripts here:
- https://github.com/pgexperts/pgx_scripts
- https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils
- https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Index_Maintenance

For the backup, you have several tools in the community. The tool provided
by PostgreSQL core is too raw IMHO. It focuses on backups and I'd rather
have a way to restore my data than having a way to backup my data.
Here is a list of some open source backup tools:
- pg_basebackup (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pgbasebackup.html)
- barman (https://www.pgbarman.org/)
- pgbackrest (https://pgbackrest.org/)
- probackup (https://postgrespro.com/products/extensions/pg_probackup)

I strongly advise not to develop your own scripts to perform backup and
recovery, because there are so many ways this could go wrong...

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

--
*Paper doesn’t grow on trees. Please print responsibly.*