Re: alter table xxx set unlogged take long time

From: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "James Pang (chaolpan)" <chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter table xxx set unlogged take long time
Date: 2022-07-26 12:52:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 8:45 AM James Pang (chaolpan) <chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com>
wrote:

> Without step 3 , copy data take long time. Use wal_level=minimal can
> help make COPY load data without logging ?

I assume that you're most concerned with the total time of moving the data
from the source database into the final table so you might get a big win by
not moving the data twice and directly load the table through a Foregin
Data Wrapper and avoid the csv export/import. Something like the oracle_fdw
might help here:
https://github.com/laurenz/oracle_fdw