Re: upgrade using logical replication

From: Mohamed Wael Khobalatte <mkhobalatte(at)grubhub(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: Atul Kumar <akumar14871(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrade using logical replication
Date: 2021-01-21 00:19:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 2:37 PM Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com> wrote:

> Using pg_upgrade takes minutes for an in place upgrade. If you can allow
> 1+ hour of downtime, it seems overly complicated to use logical replication.

I suppose the Atul's issue is what to do with the replicas. Once he does
pg_upgrade, then he will need to provision new ones, no? I suppose in this
case logical would be better, with the new instance itself having replicas.
I haven't done it, and it's gonna require some setup time, definitely much
longer than pg_upgrade then make do with one server until your new physical
replicas are set up.