Re: Seeming contradiction in 22.1

From: maja zaloznik <maja(dot)zaloznik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seeming contradiction in 22.1
Date: 2023-03-23 08:36:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thanks David,

sorry for pushing this - I don't mean to imply what you say is not true,
but would like to understand how it can be true and at the same time users
like me are convinced otherwise. The internet is chock full of instructions
and tutorials mentioning the default superuser is postgres, not the user's
os username as far as i can tell (except for official pg documentation).
Another example is the user Tim in this thread
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50883645/is-postgres-a-default-and-special-user-of-postgresql,
who also seems to be convinced that they didn't name the superuser postgres.

I'm tempted to do another install on my laptop to see what happens :))

My point being that if what you say is true but runs counter to what
essentially all other instructions on the internet say, it would seem
prudent to mention this disparity and the reasons for it in the canonical
documentation, which would be especially valuable for noobs like me.

Thanks again for your help,
Maja