Re: Problems with BIT datatype and preparedStatment

From: Ermengol Bota <ebota(at)uoc(dot)edu>
Cc: PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with BIT datatype and preparedStatment
Date: 2012-11-26 18:43:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

2012/11/26 dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>

> Hello,
>
> A search of the forum may turn up a better answer, but:

I searched "the web" :-D and I just found the code below that it's supposed
to work. I thought that the patch sended was included "by default" in newer
jdbc versions...

http://archives.postgresql.**org/pgsql-patches/2003-06/**msg00402.php<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-06/msg00402.php>

btw, which forum do you refer?

So the first problem with your execution above is you have tried to
> insert a PostgreSQL boolean type into a defined PostgreSQL bit type.
> You definition is actually by default bit(1), it could have been
> bit(2) has the example bit2_type above. Can not use setBoolean() with
> bit type in the way you have tried.
>
> The one way that it can be done has I have seen before would be to
> do a CAST.
>
> pstmt = con.prepareStatement("INSERT INTO jdbc_demo VALUES (?::bit)");
> pstmt.setString(1, "1");

This way works! great :-)

I'm not used to do cast conversion on the prepareStatement definition,
thank you for the clue!

Now I see that I didn't understand the hint at the error message "Hint: You
will need to rewrite or cast the expression."

Thanks a lot.

--
* Ermengol *
* Els ordinadors no resolen problemes, *