Re: Wiki 2FA

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Wiki 2FA
Date: 2016-01-23 21:50:26
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > It does not protect against people signing up for multiple accounts.
> Unless
> > you were actually planning to send out hardware 2FA tokens to each actual
> > contributor, but I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that?
>
> We could put a captcha which would at least prevent spammers from
> scripting attacks. I'm not sure what type of spamming we've had. I
> expect we would still see one-off spam by humans though.

We have a captcha for account singups already. That increased the signup
time by 30-45 seconds on average.

We also have a 7 day grace period, so new accounts could not use the wiki
for 7 days. It took *exactly* 7 days before the spam started again.

To me it's pretty clear that it did not come from scripts. Another hint of
that it that a couple of those "scripts" emailed us asking for us to let
them bypass the 7 day grace period.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/