Re: planet in more languages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daymel Bonne <daymel(dot)bonne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: planet in more languages
Date: 2017-07-02 16:37:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Magnus, all,
>
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
> >
> > wrote:
> > > But what we want to do here is not that kind of language-in-country
> > > specific code, but rather something that means "list me all blog posts
> > > in either Spanish or French". Which would be this "es_fr" weird thing
> > >
> > we've just invented. Maybe we should specify that differently -- maybe
> > > separate them with commas instead of underscore. So
> > > planet.pg.org/fr,es,en/ would mean entries in either French, Spanish,
> > > English.
> >
> > Oh, i was not aware there was such a plan. I don't think that was
> mentioned
> > anywhere (well, reading the submission once knowing that I guess it was,
> > but without knowing that I didn't realize it).
>
> Yeah, same.
>
> > Anyway, for that to be the idea, then I think that yes we should specify
> it
> > differently. If it looks *almost* like the syntax used for
> > language/country, then it will be misunderstood by more people than just
> > me. And you would also need to deal with collissions - for example
> "pt_br"
> > uses that syntax but is AIUI actually supposed to be treated differently?
>
> Agreed- using underscores here would be a really bad idea.
>
> > Commas require escaping in URLs I believe (except in the querystring) so
> > don't think that's the best choice. Maybe just use a dot? So /fr.en.es/?
> >
> > And this being significantly more involved than just picking one
> language,
> > we *definitely* need an interface for people to select what they want.
>
> Given that we need an interface and that we need to have some rather
> complex support for these options, have we considered maybe given an
> option for a user to be logged in and their prefereneces (Whatever they
> are, and they could be more complicated later...) taken into
> consideration when generating the page for them?

A full login seems unnecessarily complicated, TBH. With requirements on
signups and email address and whatnot.

But it seems it would be a good idea to store the preferences in a browser
cookie for example.

> In other words, forget the URL mangling to try and make this happen in a
> complex way. Maybe we still have the URL mangling for the 'simple'
> cases ('/fr' or '/fr_FR' or whatever...) but not for the complex cases
> where user X wants 'fr_FR' and 'fr_US' and 'en_US'...

That's one option yeah. We definitely need *some* level URL addressability
so people can send links around.

--
Magnus Hagander