Re: Legal Notice page in 10 not "backwards compatible" in online docs

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Legal Notice page in 10 not "backwards compatible" in online docs
Date: 2017-05-25 15:44:12
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> > The Legal Notice page has in 10 changed from being uppercased to
>> lowercased,
>> > and in the process the site no longer sees it as being present in
>> previous
>> > version of the documentation:
>> >
>> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/LEGALNOTICE.html
>> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/legalnotice.html
>> >
>> > The 9.6 page lists "This page in other versions:” from 7.4 to 9.6 while
>> the 10
>> > version of the same page (albeit with minor stylistic changes) is only
>> listed
>> > as being present in 10 and devel. Not sure if the case change is what
>> caused
>> > that to happen though, it was just what caught my attention (looking at
>> the
>> > code I was not able to quickly find the cause).
>> >
>> > While not the most critical issue, consistency with earlier versions
>> would be a
>> > good thing as the page does exist there.
>>
>> I think this is worth fixing -- perhaps not because the "legal notice"
>> page itself is terribly important to carry forward, but rather because a
>> fix would presumably also fix the pg_xlogdump -> pg_waldump ones, which
>> have the same problem and from a user's point of view are more critical.
>>

> Those are really two different things.
>
> The easiest way to fix the one that Daniel reported would be to just make
> it have the same name as before, wouldn't it? That would also automatically
> fix any other cases that would possibly link to LEGALNOTICE. (AFAIK this is
> the only file that was caps before)

Turns out that adding the capability to do aliases was a lot easier than I
thought :) I've added an alias for legalnotice and also for pg_receivewal,
pg_resetwal and pg_waldump so far.

Do we have some more docs pages where we need to do that?

--
Magnus Hagander